Westminster Students Biking in Sugar House


Alternative Transportation Options at Westminster

16% of Westminster's total greenhouse gas emissions come from campus commuting. Try these alternatives and help reduce our carbon footprint.

  • Ride UTA for FREE. Students, faculty, or staff can use their Westminster ID as a FREE UTA premium transit pass.
  • Westminster Wheels FREE bike rental program. Check out one of our lovely Kona Africa Bikes from the Westminster Bicycle Collective.
  • Westminster Bicycle Collective offers a do-it-yourself bike shop on campus where you can get help with your bike for FREE.
  • Designated Green Parking spots are available for carpools and fuel-efficient vehicles in the lot between Jewett and Foster Hall.
  • Electric vehicle charging stations are located on the main floor of the northwest parking structure.
  • Ride Share Board is a board put out in Bassis two weeks before every break to help encourage carpooling to your desired destination. Cheap and fun!

Free UTA Premium Transit Pass

Who gets a pass?

Westminster provides free transit passes to all students actively taking courses, working, or living on campus. Student passes are only active during terms in which students are enrolled in classes, working as a student employee, and/or living in campus housing. If you are not enrolled for classes, working as a student employee, or living on campus in May or Summer term, your pass will be deactivated for that term. All faculty and staff currently employed by the college are also provided passes.

How do I get a pass?

UTA Premium Transit Passes are available for FREE to all current Westminster College students, faculty, and staff. Instead of a separate UTA pass card, all Westminster ID cards issued after 2010 can be activated or deactivated as UTA passes. No additional action is required to use your ID as a transit pass.

How do I use my pass?

Simply tap your Westminster ID on the electronic card reader located on or near the bus, TRAX, or train as you get on and again AS YOU EXIT. Failure to tap on AND OFF can result in a ticket for you and significant added expense to Westminster, which pays for every trip taken by our riders.

Can I use my pass to ride TRAX and/or FrontRunner for free?

Yes. Westminster chose to provide a premium UTA pass, so your activated Westminster ID will allow you to ride all UTA buses, TRAX, FrontRunner commuter rail, and express buses. The pass is NOT available for the ski buses or Park City express bus.

Can I use my pass to ride the ski buses for free?

No, the pass is not an acceptable form of payment for any local ski bus services.

How do I figure out how which bus to take and when?

Use UTA's Online Trip Planner. Just enter your starting and ending locations and time and it will generate your route options. You can also pick up maps and schedules at the Concierge Desk in Shaw.

Which UTA routes stop at campus?

UTA route 220 stops on 1300 East at campus and connects to Trax at the University of Utah and Highland Drive to the south. Route 17 stops on campus along 1700 South and runs between the 2100 South Trax station and the University of Utah. Find other nearby routes.

Where can I get a transit schedule/map?

These are available at the Concierge Desk in Shaw Student Center or on UTA's website.

Will UTA have access to my personal information?

No. Other than being able to identify you have a Westminster pass holder, UTA will not be able to track you or your travels.

What if I lose my Westminster ID?

Please notify staff at the Eccles Center desk as soon as possible. You will need to pay for a replacement ID.

Why isn't my card working?

If your card is getting a red light when tapping on/off the buses or Trax, contact UTA customer service. If your card does not trigger a red or green light when tapping, you will need a replacement card (available from the reception desk in HWAC). Do not store Westminster ID cards next to any other cards with tap capability.