The 14th annual AWE+SUM Camp (Attend Westminster—Explore Science—Use Math) at Westminster College is June 17–20, 2019.
This camp is a unique opportunity for current 7th and 8th grade girls to spend 4 days on the Westminster campus, enjoying hands-on math and science workshops and other activities on campus. The camp supports girls’ interests in the sciences and shows them the amazing variety of careers in science fields. Girls stay in a residence hall at Westminster and are supervised by adult chaperones during daytime activities and during their overnight stays.
To attend, submit an application and ask your math or science teacher to submit a teacher recommendation form. In the first round of acceptances, by March 15, generally no more than 2 girls per school will be admitted, with some exceptions. If there are still openings in the camp beyond that date, the limit of 2 girls per school will be waived. In the application form, girls and their parents must indicate what they can afford to pay for the camp, from $0 to $300. The actual cost per girl for the camp is close to $400, but generous donors to the program make it possible to offer partial and full scholarships for AWE+SUM.
Submit AWE+SUM Application
Submit Teacher Recommendation
Promote the Camp
Print the AWE+SUM Girls Camp flyer and hang it up in your classroom, school, or community center.
- Design an App: Learn how to program your very own phone app.
- To Wash or Not to Wash: Extract penicillin from mold and use it to kill nasty bacteria.
- Stream Team Critters: Find out about the creatures living in our streams and how to keep the streams healthy.
- Wind Chimes: Choose your own musical chord and build wind chimes for that chord.
- Code Masters: Encode secret messages to send your friends: Learn about coding and breaking codes.
- Kaleidoscope: Build your own kaleidoscope and learn some geometry in the process.
- Wonder Women and Medicine: Using robotics for surgery.
- Westminster College
- American Association of University Women (AAUW): Wasatch Branch and State
- Utah NASA Space Grant Consortium
- Utah STEM Action Center
- Biofire Diagnostics
- IM Flash Technologies
- Rocky Mountain Power Foundation
- Tensor Foundation—Mathematical Association of America
- The Science House Foundation
- L3 Communications
We are grateful to our generous donors who make it possible to offer this program at an affordable price to so many girls. If you or your employer would like to become a donor of AWE+SUM or if you have any questions about the camp, please email the camp director, Dr. Carolyn Connell, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View More Photos