Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between marketing, advertising, and public relations?

In a nutshell, marketing refers the action or business of promoting and selling a product or service. Advertising is part of marketing and refers to paid promotions (e.g. ads on the radio or television). Public relations, which works in tandem with marketing, refers to the spreading of information about an organization to the public. This includes free promotion gained when the media picks up a press release sent out by that organization, as well as crisis management and communication with internal constituents.

For assistance with marketing please email Johanna Snow ( For assistance with public relations please email Arikka Von (

What are the main responsibilities of the Office of Marketing and Communications as compared to Enrollment Management?

Both offices engage in marketing and advertising, but with different purposes. Enrollment Management creates and executes marketing campaigns to generate prospective students and convert them into enrolled students. This is achieved mainly through direct marketing (emails, letters, etc.) and sales. Their efforts are targeted for undergraduate recruitment, as well as program-specific graduate recruitment.

The goal of the Office of Marketing and Communications is to build and support our brand. We engage in marketing efforts that will build awareness for the college in general, focusing on mass media (radio, transit, billboards), guerrilla marketing (viral marketing), and social media. Additionally, we work to support the efforts of Enrollment Management (and other departments) by assisting with graphic design, media relations, and media buying.

The Office of Marketing and Communications is also responsible for producing publications (like the Review Magazine and the Annual Report) to engage our alumni, community members, and current students.

How do I get my webpages updated?

Please submit a web request and the web team will quickly implement your changes.

How do I get help producing printed materials?

Our office can help with both designing and printing your materials. Please fill out the Communication Project Request form for assistance.

What is a "brand"?

A brand is a unique design, sign, symbol, words, or a combination of these, employed in creating an image that identifies a product and differentiates it from its competitors. Over time, this image becomes associated with a level of credibility, quality, and satisfaction in the consumer's mind.

When we talk about Westminster College's brand, we are referring to the images and perceptions invoked in the minds of our target audience (the campus community, alumni, prospective students, parents, and our neighbors) when they encounter our name or visual elements of our brand (e.g. the Griffin, our colors, or our logos) that make us unique compared to our competitors.

Who pays for the advertising for my event?

You are responsible for covering any costs incurred in producing and executing your campaign. This may include printing costs, postage (for mailings), or fees for paid advertising (radio, newspaper, etc.). Graphic design, media strategy, copyediting, and web page assistance are complementary.

How do I get my event included on Westminster's website calendar?

If you would like your campus event to be included on Westminster's website calendar, please submit the event details through email to Arikka Von ( Be sure to provide detailed information—including event name, date, time, location, and a brief description of the event. If the event is a lecture, a bio of the presenter is helpful.

Can I create my own poster for a campus event?

Yes, you can create your own poster as long as you adhere to the college's graphic standards. We also ask that you submit your completed design to our office for our review before you print your posters by emailing it to Amy Westberg, senior graphic designer (

How can I promote my event to the local news media and the community?

If you would like your campus event to be promoted to the local media, please submit the event details through email to Arikka Von ( Be sure to provide detailed information—including event name, date, time, location, and a description of the event. If the event is a lecture, a bio of the presenter is very helpful as well. Please also send high resolution photos/images relevant to the event. (Note: Not all events will be deemed news worthy by the media. Our PR staff will help you determine the best way to get information about your event out to the public.)

If I have something that needs to be printed that is already designed, do I need to fill out a Communication Project Request form?

No. Westminster College partners with Alpha Graphics to offer online print services. While the new request process is currently being finalized, please email Christian Hayes of AlphaGraphics ( for any printing service needs.