Independent Contractors Agreement and Payment Process

This process is used to contract for outside services performed on behalf of the college by individuals operating as independent contractors and for contracts below $2,000. All independent contracts must be approved before work is assigned. If you are unable to check all boxes, it is likely the individual should be hired as an employee. Please contact Human Resources with any questions at 801.832.2571 or in our office at Bamberger 106.

  1. To determine if an independent contract is the appropriate classification for the work you are considering, review the independent contract checklist.

    • The individual is not currently an employee of the college in any classification
    • The work is not the same or similar to work performed by other employees of the college
    • The individual is a professional in their field providing similar services to other organizations
    • The college will not need to provide materials, equipment, systems access for the work to be completed
    • Expenses related to completing the work will be paid by the individual
    • College employees will not provide specific direction on when and how the work is to be completed
    • The individual is able to provide their own workers compensation insurance
    • The work does not require supervision of students or employees

  1. If you are able to check all boxes of the independent contract checklist, complete an Independent Contractor Request Form. Send the completed form to Human Resources ( where a team member will review the information, make any necessary adjustments, and create an independent contract agreement. Julie Freestone, executive director of human resources, is the authorized signatory for independent contracts.

  2. A member of the Human Resources team will send the approved contractor agreement back to the hiring supervisor. Then, the hiring supervisor will send the approved agreement, W-9, and direct deposit forms to the contractor. The contractor will return all completed forms to the hiring supervisor.

  3. To process payments, the hiring supervisor must submit the following completed forms to the accounting department:

    • Independent contractor agreement signed by Julie Freestone and countersigned by the contractor
    • Completed W-9 form
    • Completed direct deposit form
    • Check request form

    For questions regarding payments, contact the Accounting Office.

Independent Contractor Request Form